Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kelenna Azubuike's Plan of Care

The whiteboard across from me in Summit Hawthorne 350 Hospital, Room 2378 reads:

RN: Ernest
May 26, 2010
Wednesday
PLAN OF CARE

1. Pain Control
2. No nausea or vomiting
3. Good nutrition
4. Monitor intake and output
5. Chemo with minimal side effects
6. Kelenna Azubuike?

Read: Cocktail Hour will begin shortly. Bring on the snooze control.

Becca hasn't woken up since I walked in and started typing two feet from her ears.

Musical rooms yesterday got us a nice private room with a view. The painting is even bearable. Probably as good as it gets here at SomePit Hospital,

Re: #6 (fictional). Rumors are flying that one or both of Becca's two Nigerian nurses is the uncle(s) of Kelenna Azubuike. Don't tell me you don't know who Kelenna Azubuike is sports fans! Hint: hapless Bay Area pro basketball team. OK, Becca didn't know either. But trust me, that will be my first question to them.

Speaking of questions: Is there some reason that every doctor, nurse and janitor asks the same 64 questions that they already have the answers to, like "What's your pain level?" or "Do you have any allergies?" But Uchechi, one of the Nigerian nurses, sheepishly asked a new one: "Have you been abused? I have to ask it; it's on the form."
"Can I leave the room now?" I muttered.

You see where I'm going with this, don't you? My first novel based on a mostly true story, or possibly the less ambitious blog "What's up with Steve?"

Ciao for Now

2 comments:

  1. Steve, I am so grateful for your updates. Makes me feel not so so far away. Your mix of humor(gotta have it)and reality of the facts are appreciated.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It helps to be a little reality challenged.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete